As I was thinking about those matriarchs in the grocery store line. I was reminded of an experience I had in WalMart a few months ago. Now, first of all, let me say I am not a WalMart fan! They never have enough big carts to hold my brood, checkout lines are obnoxiously long, and returning anything there is like going through a criminal investigation. Having said that, I find myself there more often than I like because they carry some things (mainly craft items) that other superstores do not.
Anyway, I was standing in line at WalMart one day thinking my kids were being pretty good. No one had run off, there had been no blood, I had done relativly little screaming, and they were accepting my no answers to each candy bar they asked for. (They had to try asking for each variety on the off chance that the chocoholic in me might be tempted enough by the chocolate of one particular brand to say yes.) And then, the lady behind me catches my attention and says, "It looks like you could use the Supernanny" Yes, she had the nerve to say that!! Have you seen how the kids act on that show?! I think my chin actually hit the floor. Don't get me wrong, there have innumerable times that I freely admit I was in desperate need of the Supernanny, and I foresee many more in my future. This was not one of those times. I proceeded to tell her in the calmest voice I could muster that they were actually being pretty good for the amount of shopping we had done.
In all fairness, looking back, I think she was using the statement as a conversation opener so she could brag about her grandkids. I'm just not sure why she would choose something most mothers would consider an insult as a way to open friendly conversation!
2 comments:
I swear, it's always the old ladies at walmart!!! I had one lady look at Dawson disgustedly (when he was about 6 months old) and say "oh... you poor baby!!! I bet your feet are just freezing!" Then she turns to me and says "where are his shoes?" Mind you, the kid had socks on, and it was the dead of summer. I politely told her that he is only 6 months old, doesn't even crawl yet.. let alone walk, and doesn't need shoes. She looked at me and said "Well, one of these days he'll catch you off guard and you will need shoes for him" then she walked off.
Don't worry.. I think your kids are very well behaved and disciplined. If anything, you should become the supernanny. :)
Brooke, I have a very witty and clever retort for anyone who says things like that to you. Write this down, and practice it in front of the mirror. Are you ready? This one's a keeper, I promise:
*ahem*
"What the hell is wrong with you, lady?"
Post a Comment