I am posting my Works for Me Wednesday tip today because Paul and I are leaving on vacation tomorrow. It is so true that when leaving the kids, it requires 48 hours of preparation for every 24 hours you will be gone.
What works for me today is the way I get things together to leave the kids home. The best thing I have done is to write up the kids' schedules, meals, routines, allergies and other various and sundry instructions on the computer. That way, I can go into the document and just tweak it each time we leave.
Now, I don't have to write down our bedtime routine every time. Nor do I have to rewrite the warnings. For example, the last time we left, Paul's nephew babysat for us and found it hilarious that they would try everything on my list, including the slumber party in the family room on a school night!
I also have menu ideas and a virtual shopping list as I list options for meal preparation. I leave a list of things they can make that are in the house rather than dictate specific meals. That way, the wonderful people who agree to care for our 4 monkeys can choose meals as simple or complicated as they feel comfortable with and food that they like.
Finally, I print up a separate emergency sheet that has phone numbers, a signed note from me giving the holder permission to seek medical care for the children in case we cannot be reached, and insurance cards photocopied on the back, just in case!
This may be a simple thing that everyone else has already figured out but it works for me. I would love to hear any other ideas that work for you to simplify leaving your kids.
Be sure to check out what works for others here!
BTW, I have to say how excited I am! We did not celebrate our anniversary in Dec. or Valentine's Day, so we are going to San Francisco to see Wicked! We haven't seen it and I am positively giddy! Time to do laundry, tweak my list, grocery shop, pick up the lizard, shovel the snow......
What works for me today is the way I get things together to leave the kids home. The best thing I have done is to write up the kids' schedules, meals, routines, allergies and other various and sundry instructions on the computer. That way, I can go into the document and just tweak it each time we leave.
Now, I don't have to write down our bedtime routine every time. Nor do I have to rewrite the warnings. For example, the last time we left, Paul's nephew babysat for us and found it hilarious that they would try everything on my list, including the slumber party in the family room on a school night!
I also have menu ideas and a virtual shopping list as I list options for meal preparation. I leave a list of things they can make that are in the house rather than dictate specific meals. That way, the wonderful people who agree to care for our 4 monkeys can choose meals as simple or complicated as they feel comfortable with and food that they like.
Finally, I print up a separate emergency sheet that has phone numbers, a signed note from me giving the holder permission to seek medical care for the children in case we cannot be reached, and insurance cards photocopied on the back, just in case!
This may be a simple thing that everyone else has already figured out but it works for me. I would love to hear any other ideas that work for you to simplify leaving your kids.
Be sure to check out what works for others here!
BTW, I have to say how excited I am! We did not celebrate our anniversary in Dec. or Valentine's Day, so we are going to San Francisco to see Wicked! We haven't seen it and I am positively giddy! Time to do laundry, tweak my list, grocery shop, pick up the lizard, shovel the snow......
1 comment:
Have a great time! And pack a coat; SF is FREEZING this time of year!
Post a Comment