Sunday, September 07, 2008

New thoughts on Mary and Martha

I recently followed a link to a woman's blog who amazingly has 12 children. The motto she has for her blog is "Trying to find the mary buried in the martha". This got me thinking. This is a scripture story that I have always loved. Jesus gently reproves Martha that although she is doing good things, she is missing something better. She is missing the opportunity to sit at the feet of her special guest, which would be an unforgettable experience to cherish long after her other work and service are forgotten. Mary understood that.

Later, that same Mary anoints and washes Jesus' feet with costly oil. When reproved by one of the disciples, for 'wasting' the oil instead of selling it and giving the money to the poor, Jesus said "For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."

Though this story has always reminded me to make time for Christ and the gospel in my life, I had a glimmer of insight into other special guests in my home which represent opportunities for unforgettable memories to cherish, guests that will not always be here with me. I have four beautiful children who will be children for such a short time. I have only a short time to revel in their enthusiasm, wonder, and love before they will move on to bigger things. Though I have many good things to occupy my time and even more costly, my energy, I need to make room for more of the better, more laughter, silliness, wonder, and joy, the things we will remember and cherish.

1 comment:

Kedrick & Kori said...

Love it. I agree and I love that story and I love your insight, thank you, it helped me to read that. You are great. and thanks for the cute denim jacket for Cleveland, can this count as my thank you card? hee hee