Saturday, August 29, 2009

Summer adventures continued...

I have enough material through this summer for a novel series however, I thought I would condense a little and let some of the experiences speak for themselves.
For example, I think you can imagine the clean up involved in a cracked 42 oz bottle of bubble solution slowly leaking into the carpet. Or a toddler with the stomach flu doing her thing on both the leather couch and upholstered rocker, neither of which actually belong to us!
There is a dent in the wall where the doorknob hits from a particularly enthusiastic entrance, the grass is wearing a little thin as we trample around to the back door and the kids continue to sneak-eat the cherry tomatoes out of the garden.
The fish have somehow survived in spite of their
near death experience but we lost our last frog Zippy about a week ago. You will probably not be surprised to know that I miss him more than the kids because I was the one who took care of him. We had a unique bond. I have a habit of going in to see my sleeping children before I go to bed. At the end of each day I need the reminder of their innocence, beauty, and my love for them. Anyway, frogs are nocturnal and Zippy was at his most active about midnight. I would silently greet him and watch as he perched on the edge of his water bowl after a refreshing dip. I miss watching him watch me and pondering what he might be thinking. I know, you are astounded at the depth of my ponderings at that time of night.
This is also another
superglue testimonial! Emma was chasing Jordan across the street, tripped and fell, and gouged 2 holes in her forehead. We pulled out the superglue again and things seem to be healing well!
And finally (for now) we had the fun adventure of taking down the entire clothes rod and upper shelf in our bedroom. I guess maybe we didn't thin our wardrobes enough when we moved :) The screws pulled right out of the wall.
There are also a few more stories which demand more detail in the telling. I will leave these for a future date when I am more emotionally prepared to relive them. Let's just say one involves a babysitter who didn't know how to say no to science experiments, and the other involves a defrosted freezer that still makes me cringe in horror. Another will recount the beginning of the vomit story which happened to take place in our trailer... on vacation... from the top bunk.
Needless to say, we will have some spackling, painting, and a whole lot of cleaning to do when we move out of here. We are determined to leave this basement in the best shape we can (I mumble with bowed head and a look of penitent chagrin on my face).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Of the frog, I mean. I did laugh out loud, however, since the way you phrased it made it sound like the kids were gone, too, but you only missed the frog.

Believe me, honey, I was feelin' ya!

And don't you love how kids will go the extra mile to trash someone else's house?

Mombrud said...

I am so glad my lack of grammar and sanity have lightened your day! I guess my subconscious may have been slipping in there too!

Dahlene said...

Oh Brooke! I am so sorry for the loss of Zippy. How sad is that? I also express sympathies to you in your horrid hour of puke coming from the top bunk, bubbles in the carpet, puke covered furniture, etc. I feel that I lead a very calm and charmed life compared to other people such as your self out there in this cold world. Good luck. I can hardly wait until you get into your roomy home. I love the kitchen and the outside view. Very nice. I'll come visit when you get in.
I think you should save up for the things you love since this is the home you'll be in, hopefully, a long time. It doesn't matter if it's bare for awhile.